Advertisement

Should track and field jumpers lift as often and as heavy as throwers?

No.  While jumpers and throwers will complete similar exercises the volume and distribution of those exercises will be different.  The goal of lifting weights for all track and field events is to make the body stronger and more dynamic, whether running down the track, jumping over a crossbar, or moving across the ring. The stronger, more powerful athlete will always generate more force than the weaker, less dynamic athlete. Throwers run but not nearly the same volume as a sprinter or jumper, therefore throwers spend more time in the weight room because success in their event depends more upon the work done there. Sprinters and jumpers cannot spend as much time in the weight room as throwers because their success is determined more on the runways and track. Throwers spend roughly sixty percent of their workouts in the weight room and the other forty percent practicing throwing, running and doing drills. Runners and jumpers spend 60 percent of their workouts at the track sprinting and jumping and the other 40 percent in the weight room. Plyometrics and multi throws are as important as weights to jumpers, so there is less emphasis on spending as much time in the weight room as a thrower.

Continue Learning about Track & Field

What can I do to improve my fitness and conditioning for track?
National Academy of Sports MedicineNational Academy of Sports Medicine
Most track and field athletes get enough cardio conditioning during practice and require differe...
More Answers
What is a good race warm-up?
National Academy of Sports MedicineNational Academy of Sports Medicine
Pre-race trainer warm up: 20 minutes at an endurance pace. 10 minutes at a pace that is 70% of t...
More Answers
How does a distance runner's strength and conditioning vary from sprinters?
National Academy of Sports MedicineNational Academy of Sports Medicine
The distance runner's strength and conditioning program is tailored to improve strength and endu...
More Answers
Can visualization help in individual track and field performance?
National Academy of Sports MedicineNational Academy of Sports Medicine
An athlete can only accomplish a certain amount of physical repetitions during a jumping, runnin...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.