Advertisement

How does weight lifting for throwers differ from other track athletes?

The goal of lifting weights for all track and field events is to make the body stronger and more dynamic, whether it is for running down the track, jumping over a crossbar, or moving across the ring. The stronger, more powerful athlete will always generate more force than the weaker, less dynamic athlete. Unlike other track athletes, throwers success depends more heavily on the work that the do in the weight room. Sprinters and jumpers cannot spend as much time in the weight room as throwers because their sucess is determined more on the runways and track. Throwers should spend roughly sixty percent of their workouts in the weight room and the other forty percent practicing throwing, running, and doing drills. Runners and jumpers should spend 60 percent of their workouts at the track sprinting and jumping and the other 40 percent in the weight room. This schedule enables the throwing athlete to lift higher volume and attain greater lifting results over time. Throwing is more dependent on strength and power, so a higher percentage of their workout volume and intensity should be spent lifting weights.

Continue Learning about Track & Field

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.