What is toxoplasmosis?

If you're pregnant, put your partner in charge of taking out the kitty litter. The litter of some cats can include a parasite that can lead to toxoplasmosis, a condition that can restrict the growth of the fetus. Your cat is the primary host for the toxo parasite and can shed egg cysts in its feces that survive for a long time. But don't worry—it's still okay to pet Mr. Whiskers. Just be sure to wash your hands very well in running water after doing so. If you don't have an alternative to changing the litter while pregnant, either wear gloves or wash your hands thoroughly afterward. Toxoplasmosis egg-cysts can survive for up to a year in soil, so wear gloves when gardening, as well.

The parasite can also infect raw food (via a fly that flits from the litter box to your hamburger meat). So wash and cook your food to a temp of 145 degrees for beef, lamb, steaks, and veal roasts, 160 degrees for pork, ground meat, and wild game, and 180 degrees for whole poultry. And cleaning all surfaces that have touched raw meat.

Toxoplasmosis causes flu-like symptoms with muscle aches, brain fog, and swollen glands. Toxo is only a threat to your baby if you're infected for the first time during pregnancy (you may have immunity to it if you've already been exposed). Your provider can do a simple blood test to check whether or not you have antibodies.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Toxoplasmosis

How does Toxoplasma affect the eyes?
Dr. Michael X. RepkaDr. Michael X. Repka
If you have Toxoplasmosis in one eye and you wear contact lenses, there is a small risk of damage to...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with toxoplasmosis?
If you are caring for someone with toxoplasmosis, watch for any symptoms that seem worse than no...
How is toxoplasmosis related to the flu?
Toxoplasmosis is not related to the flu. However, sometimes the symptoms of toxoplasmosis mimic the ...
How is gardening related to toxoplasmosis?
Gardening is related to toxoplasmosis because the bacteria Toxoplasma gondii is often be found in ...