What is congenital toxoplasmosis?

Congenital toxoplasmosis refers to the transference of the parasite toxoplasma gondii from mother to child during pregnancy. If a doctor thinks that your child is at risk for developing toxoplasmosis, he will likely give you the medicine spiramycin to ensure that the baby does not develop toxoplasmosis. If your child does develop this condition, it could result in serious repercussions for the baby. Symptoms include blindness, deafness, and retardation.

Continue Learning about Toxoplasmosis

How is toxoplasmosis diagnosed?
Toxoplasmosis is usually diagnosed through a blood test in which a doctor looks for certain antibodi...
How do other illnesses affect toxoplasmosis?
Toxoplasmosis can often be confused with other illnesses since some of the symptoms may resemble...
Should I talk to my doctor about my toxoplasmosis?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of toxoplasmosis, especially the more extreme signs and ...
What are the side effects of toxoplasmosis medications?
The medications pyrimethamine and sulfadiazine help to suppress folic acid and thus you can suffer f...