What increases my risk for toxoplasmosis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Those most at risk for developing toxoplasmosis are those with weakened immune systems and women who are pregnant. If you have a weakened immune system due to HIV/AIDS, cancer treatment, or immunosuppressant drugs, your body may be too weak to fight the infection on its own. Women who are pregnant do not usually show signs of the infection but can pass it to their child with serious ramifications. You are also at risk around infected cats or if you do not take the proper precautions with raw meat and produce.

Continue Learning about Toxoplasmosis

How can I avoid toxoplasmosis infection during pregnancy?
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite in cat feces and raw meat. If you have cats, assi...
Is toxoplasmosis contagious?
Toxoplasmosis is not contagious because it cannot spread from one person to another. This can on...
How does Toxoplasma affect the eyes?
Dr. Michael X. RepkaDr. Michael X. Repka
If you have Toxoplasmosis in one eye and you wear contact lenses, there is a small risk of damage to...
What are the complications associated with toxoplasmosis?
For healthy individuals, there are usually no complications involved with toxoplasmosis. In rare cas...