How does Toxoplasma affect the eyes?

Dr. Louis B. Cantor, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Toxoplasma infection is usually caused by ingesting the germ from animal feces, uncooked meats, or raw vegetables. Cooking kills the germ. When a pregnant woman becomes infected the germ can be transferred to the baby and among other problems may infect the eye.

When the eye is infected the back of the eye in the retina is most often involved. The infection results in scarring in the retina which can interfere with vision depending upon which area of the retina is infected and how severe the infection may be.

The germ often becomes inactive but can remain in the eye in a dormant state where it is “asleep”. Many years later the infection can begin again, usually along one of the edges of the previous scar. Antibiotics and steroid medications can be used to treat the infection.

Dr. Michael X. Repka
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

If you have Toxoplasmosis in one eye and you wear contact lenses, there is a small risk of damage to the good eye—the eye that did not experience Toxoplasmosis. The more important thing is that the use of contact lenses removes the protection for the good eye that glasses provide. For that reason patients are typically counseled not to wear contact lenses if they have severe Toxoplasmosis in one eye and one good eye.

Continue Learning about Toxoplasmosis

How is toxoplasmosis related to the flu?
Toxoplasmosis is not related to the flu. However, sometimes the symptoms of toxoplasmosis mimic the ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my toxoplasmosis?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of toxoplasmosis, especially the more extreme signs and ...
How is gardening related to toxoplasmosis?
Gardening is related to toxoplasmosis because the bacteria Toxoplasma gondii is often be found in ...
What are the side effects of toxoplasmosis medications?
The medications pyrimethamine and sulfadiazine help to suppress folic acid and thus you can suffer f...