How is toxoplasma gondii related to toxoplasmosis?

Toxoplasma gondii is the parasite that causes the infection of toxoplasmosis. After being consumed by a cat, the parasite reproduces in the cat's stomach in little eggs called oocysts. The oocysts leave the cat's body through its feces which are then spread to the soil and various byproducts. A type of toxoplasma gondii can also develop in raw meats and infect individuals this way. When a human consumes toxoplasma gondii, it creates cysts and can spread throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Toxoplasmosis

How does toxoplasmosis affect pregnancy?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Pregnant women need to avoid Toxoplasmosis during pregnancy. Toxoplasmosis is a parasite found in th...
How do I manage my toxoplasmosis on a daily basis?
You can manage and prevent toxoplasmosis on a daily basis in several ways.Make frequent visits to th...
How can I avoid toxoplasmosis infection during pregnancy?
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite in cat feces and raw meat. If you have cats, assi...
Does toxoplasmosis affect children differently than adults?
In a healthy child toxoplasmosis usually causes minor symptoms, such as swollen glands, or no symp...