Should I use ipecac if my child swallows a poison?

Syrup of ipecac is a drug that was used in the past to make children vomit after they had swallowed a poison. Although this may seem to make sense, making someone vomit is not a good poison treatment because having the poison travel back through the throat and mouth could actually cause more harm. Don’t give your child syrup of ipecac or saltwater or do anything else to make him gag. If you have any syrup of ipecac at home, flush it down the toilet and throw away the container.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Toxicology-Antidote Agent

How effective are opioids?
While opioids have a long history of use for pain relief, there are no high-quality studies that pro...
Are activated charcoal supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
Activated charcoal supplements have not been found to cause problems in pregnancy or for nursing mot...
Are opioids a good choice to manage chronic pain?
People should avoid taking opioids for chronic pain. They are usually prescribed only for short-term...
How the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next Generation
How the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next GenerationHow the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next GenerationHow the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next GenerationHow the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next Generation
In 2012, one infant was born with neonatal abstinence syndrome every 25 minutes. Neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS), a series of health issues that ar...