Can I take Ferriprox if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

Pregnant women should not take Ferriprox (deferiprone) to treat high levels of iron in the blood, since animal studies have shown that the drug can cause birth defects or death of a fetus. Women should use birth control to avoid getting pregnant while taking this drug and let their doctors know right away if they do become pregnant. Since it isn't known if Ferriprox passes into breast milk, breastfeeding mothers should discuss with their doctor the benefits and risks of taking the drug while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Toxicology-Antidote Agent

Are opioids a good choice to manage chronic pain?
People should avoid taking opioids for chronic pain. They are usually prescribed only for short-term...
How effective are opioids?
While opioids have a long history of use for pain relief, there are no high-quality studies that pro...
Are activated charcoal supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
Activated charcoal supplements have not been found to cause problems in pregnancy or for nursing mot...
How the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next Generation
How the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next GenerationHow the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next GenerationHow the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next GenerationHow the Opioid Crisis Affects the Next Generation
In 2012, one infant was born with neonatal abstinence syndrome every 25 minutes. Neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS), a series of health issues that ar...