What are the symptoms of tooth sensitivity?

Symptoms of sensitive teeth are basically variations in sensation. This may involve awareness of slight changes in temperature and/or irritation caused by certain foods or drinks. It could mean extreme pain causing you to immediately remove whatever is stimulating it from your mouth. Sometimes your doctor might ask you to rate your sensitivity or pain on a 1 to 10 scale. Point pressure is one kind of sensitivity that your dentist can test for using a probe called an explorer.
Is the taste of ice cream or a sip of hot coffee sometimes a painful experience for you? Does brushing or flossing make you wince occasionally? These are some of the symptoms that patients may first experience. If so, you may have sensitive teeth.

Possible causes include:
  • Tooth decay (cavities)
  • Fractured teeth
  • Worn fillings
  • Gum disease
  • Worn tooth enamel
  • Exposed tooth root
Contact your dentist. Sensitive can be treated.

The symptoms of tooth sensitivity can be anything that causes an awareness of pain when eating, drinking, or even breathing in air through your mouth. Each person has varying levels of pain, so this awareness will be different for everybody. It is important to visit your dentist so that the cause of the sensitivity can be determined and treated with the necessary procedures.

Symptoms of tooth sensivity could be a tooth that is sensitive when eating or drinking something hot or cold. Pain on biting or when touching the tooth can be results of tooth sensitivity. If your teeth are sensitive, you should see your dentist. A sensitive tooth could be a sign of a cavity, broken tooth or filling, cracked tooth, abcessed tooth or receding gums.

Continue Learning about Tooth Sensitivity

At what point should I see my dentist if I have sensitive teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have sensitive teeth, the first step is to talk to your dentist. Your dentist will first try ...
What causes cold sensitivity in teeth?
Rita MedwidRita Medwid
Teeth can become sensitive to cold liquids, foods, or even cold air which can become really annoying...
What is tooth sensitivity?
Rachana D. Vora, DMDRachana D. Vora, DMD
Tooth sensitivity is a chronic condition that causes bursts of sharp pain within the teeth. The pain...
What can I do to reduce my tooth sensitivity?
Stephen D. Moore, DDSStephen D. Moore, DDS
There are some "home remedies" that actually may alleviate some tooth sensitivity. You can try sensi...