What is a wisdom tooth extraction?

Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth. When these wisdom teeth are removed this is a wisdom tooth extraction.

Some reasons for removal include:
  • pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

The "wisdom tooth" is the third molar and usually will erupt into the mouth from age 16-22. Most of the time dentists will recommend the extraction of the wisdom teeth (third molars) as a preemptive measure. If the wisdom teeth grow into the mouth in a healthy manner and can be maintained with proper oral hygiene, there is usually no need to extract them. However, most wisdom teeth do not always fully erupt into the mouth and are difficult to keep clean. Extracting the wisdom teeth will help prevent many of the problems that commonly occur with wisdom teeth like cysts, infections, damage to adjacent teeth, and cavities. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?
Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery wit...
Are there any risks associated with having a tooth extraction?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Having a tooth extracted is not a procedure that you or your dentist should take lightly. To give yo...
What can I expect during recovery from a surgical tooth extraction?
Following a surgical tooth extraction, your jaw may be sore, stiff, and swollen. You may need to bit...
How effective is a wisdom tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Wisdom teeth extractions are highly successful and are a pretty common procedure. Wisdom teeth are t...