What should I think about if I have a tooth extraction for gum disease?

If you have a tooth extraction due to gum disease, there are two considerations you should think about. The first is properly caring for your extraction site, where the tooth was removed. It is important to adhere to your dentist's post-extraction care regimen in order to ensure the site heals healthily. You don't want to delay the healing or cause infection by not following the instructions.

The other consideration is for your gum disease. It is important to continue regular visits to your dentists to keep track of your gum disease. Progression of this problem will only lead to additional complications and potential additional loss of teeth. Catching and treating gum disease early will avoid further problems.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Could nerve damage happen in my face when a wisdom tooth is removed?
Nerve damage is possible with dental surgeries such as the pulling of a wisdom tooth. However, i...
Why does dentist recommend bone graft during tooth extraction?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
When a tooth is removed, the bone that supported this tooth is also lost in time. The only chance yo...
How should I care for a tooth extraction at home?
After your tooth extraction, you can apply ice packs to your face to reduce swelling or try warm com...
What can I expect during recovery from a surgical tooth extraction?
Following a surgical tooth extraction, your jaw may be sore, stiff, and swollen. You may need to bit...