What are the risks of a tooth extraction for gum disease?

Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause of tooth loss in adults.

Aggressive periodontitis is a highly destructive form of periodontal disease that occurs in patients who are otherwise healthy. Common features include rapid loss of tissue and bone and may occur in some areas of the mouth, or in the entire mouth. This can result in needing to have teeth extracted.

For the first few days, if you must rinse, rinse your mouth gently. If you experience swelling, apply a cold cloth or an ice bag and call your dentist right away. Ask your dentist about pain medication. You can brush and floss the other teeth as usual. But don't clean the teeth next to where the tooth was removed. Some risks include swelling, redness, bleeding, or infection. Like all tooth extractions, it is important to follow your dentist's post extraction care regimen.

Follow up visits may be necessary to track any changes to your mouth and gum disease condition and treat it as early as possible.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Are there any risks associated with tooth extraction?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Even though most dental extractions proceed without any complications, some can occur. The most like...
Can I eat and drink after a tooth extraction?
Yes, but I advise my patients not to eat anything too hot, spicy, or crunchy for 24 hours after an e...
Is there follow-up required for tooth removal and extraction?
In some cases, you may need to attend follow up visits for your tooth removal and extraction, but in...
Do seniors have more problems with tooth removal and extraction?
Older people do tend to have more complications associated with tooth removal and extraction. This i...