What are the ways that I can have a tooth extracted?

There are typically two types of extractions: simple extraction and surgical extraction. A simple extraction is when the tooth is easy to reach- with most of it above the gum and bone line. A surgical extraction is necessary when the tooth is not easy to reach because more of it is below the gum and tooth line, or there are complications like infection or trauma.

The type of extraction that you will need depends upon your unique situation. Discuss with your dentist the extraction procedure and any questions you may have. Your dentist will provide you with a post-extraction care regimen that it is important to follow, both for your health and comfort.

Tooth extractions are done by general dentists as well as oral surgeons. They can be a simple or surgical extraction. A general dentist will refer you to an oral surgeon if the extraction is too complicated or out of their comfort level of doing the extraction.

Tooth extractions can be performed by simple extraction or by surgery.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

How can I decrease bleeding after a tooth extraction?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Keep direct pressure on the area by biting firmly on dental gauze and change the gauze every 20 minu...
What should I expect from tooth removal and extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you're had a tooth extracted, you can expect some minor discomfort in the hours and days immediat...
How should I care for a tooth extraction at home?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
After an extraction the following is recommended:Constant pressure where the gauze is placed for 1 ...
What should I expect after having a tooth extraction?
Tooth extractions are common surgical procedures. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains wha...