What are the ways that I can have a tooth extracted?

Tooth extractions can be performed by simple extraction or by surgery.

Tooth extractions are done by general dentists as well as oral surgeons. They can be a simple or surgical extraction. A general dentist will refer you to an oral surgeon if the extraction is too complicated or out of their comfort level of doing the extraction.

There are typically two types of extractions: simple extraction and surgical extraction. A simple extraction is when the tooth is easy to reach- with most of it above the gum and bone line. A surgical extraction is necessary when the tooth is not easy to reach because more of it is below the gum and tooth line, or there are complications like infection or trauma.

The type of extraction that you will need depends upon your unique situation. Discuss with your dentist the extraction procedure and any questions you may have. Your dentist will provide you with a post-extraction care regimen that it is important to follow, both for your health and comfort.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Can home remedies relieve pain and discomfort from a tooth extraction?
In addition to rinsing with warm salt water, some people have found that clove applied to the gums h...
What should I expect after having a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow. In mos...
What should I think about if I have a wisdom tooth extraction?
If you have your wisdom teeth extracted, you should adhere to the post-extraction regimen your denti...
Is infection a risk of having a tooth pulled?
Randall D. Stastny, DMDRandall D. Stastny, DMD
As with any surgical procedure, infection is always a risk. However, the oral cavity has an amazing ...