What happens during a surgical tooth extraction?

A surgical tooth extraction is performed when a tooth is hidden below the gum line. An oral surgeon will cut into your gum and pull back the gum to expose the tooth before  removing it.

A surgical tooth extraction entails the gums to be reflected and removal of bone around the tooth to gain better access to a tooth. Teeth that have curved roots and need to be divided or a tooth that has fractured at the gum line may need a surgical extraction. Wisdom teeth that are impacted or malpositioned will require surgical extraction as well. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?
You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or...
When should I call my doctor after tooth removal and extraction?
Some bleeding, pain, swelling, and bruising is normal in the few days following your tooth removal a...
How can I decrease bleeding after a tooth extraction?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Keep direct pressure on the area by biting firmly on dental gauze and change the gauze every 20 minu...
What steps can I take to prevent the need for a tooth extraction?
Rita MedwidRita Medwid
Prevention is the key with tooth brushing and especially flossing. Take the floss below the gum line...