What are the reasons why a person would get a tooth extraction?

You may need to have a tooth extracted because it is very decayed, has been broken or is loose. broken, decayed, or damaged tooth. Also, if your teeth are overcrowded or you are getting braces, you may need a tooth extraction to free up room in your mouth.

Every patient is unique, but in general, a tooth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:

• pain
  • infection
  • cysts
  • tumors
  • damage to adjacent teeth
  • gum disease
  • tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)

Your dentist or specialist may also recommend removal to prevent problems or for others reasons, such as when removal is part of an orthodontic, restorative or periodontal treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What are the risks of a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause...
Can my diet speed up my recovery from a tooth extraction?
If you want to speed up your recovery from a tooth extraction, make sure you have plenty of vit...
Can home remedies relieve pain and discomfort from a tooth extraction?
In addition to rinsing with warm salt water, some people have found that clove applied to the gums h...
Will I be in a lot of pain after having a tooth extraction?
After a simple extraction, you may feel a lot of discomfort which should subside with over-the-...