Will I be in a lot of pain after having a tooth extraction?

After a simple extraction, you may feel a lot of discomfort which should subside with over-the-counter pain pills such as Motrin or Advil. If you have a surgical extraction, you may experience more pain, so your dentist or surgeon may give you a prescription for pain medication.

The level of pain can vary based on the number of teeth being extraction and the type of extraction. Remember, when having an extraction, today's modern procedures and follow up care (as recommended by your dentist) are there for your benefit and comfort. Ask your dentist about pain medication. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

When should I call my doctor after tooth removal and extraction?
Some bleeding, pain, swelling, and bruising is normal in the few days following your tooth removal a...
What are the reasons why a person would get a tooth extraction?
You may need to have a tooth extracted because it is very decayed, has been broken or is loose. brok...
What are my options if I have visible teeth extracted?
If you have visible teeth that were extracted, you may benefit from crowns, bridges, or dentures. Al...
What are the risks of a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause...