What do I need to know after having a wisdom tooth taken out?

After a wisdom tooth extraction you may experience some pain and swelling in your mouth and on the side of the face where your wisdom tooth was pulled. Your dental surgeon will prescribe medication to help ease the pain as well as antibiotics, if needed for infection. Apply a cold compress to your face to help reduce swelling. You may have stitches and some bleeding at the site where the tooth was removed. The stitches may dissolve or you may need to return to your dentist to have them removed. Discuss with your dentist before surgery whether you should avoid certain foods and liquids after the extraction.

After having your wisdom teeth out, you should follow your dentist or oral surgeon's instructions. S/he will provide instructions for helping the extraction site to heal properly, prevent infection and also offer medication and tips for minimizing pain. If you experience severe pain, continued bleeding, swelling or other signs of infection, you should contact your dentist or oral surgeon. Do not use or straw to avoid sucking after the extraction. This can delay healing by disturbing the sutures. Your doctor will also recommend ice or cold compresses to prevent swelling. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Why do impacted teeth have to be extracted?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Not all impacted teeth need to be extracted, but some do. If the impacted tooth is causing pain, in...
What should I think about if I have a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have a tooth extraction due to gum disease, there are two considerations you should think abo...
When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?
You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or...
What can I eat after a tooth extraction?
After the extraction, drink lots of liquids and eat soft, nutritious foods. Avoid hot liquids an...