How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?

Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery with your dentist or oral surgeon. You will want to make sure you know details like whether someone should come with you to your appointment to give you a ride home, what you will need to bring with you that day, and what you need to avoid prior to the surgery. You should also let them know what medications you take and whether you are a smoker. Additionally, you should find out how long the procedure will be, how many teeth will be removed, how long it takes to heal, what kind of anesthesia your dentist recommends, and whether the teeth being removed have damaged any of the surrounding teeth.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Why do I need tooth removal and extraction of my impacted tooth?
Stephen P. Simpson, DDSStephen P. Simpson, DDS
Impacted teeth can cause a variety of potential problems. They may become cystic and create large sw...
What are my options if I have visible teeth extracted?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
There are three options for replacing teeth that have been extracted. One treatment is a removable p...
What can I expect during recovery from a surgical tooth extraction?
Following a surgical tooth extraction, your jaw may be sore, stiff, and swollen. You may need to bit...
Are there any risks associated with tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Prior to a tooth extraction, your dentist will numb the area to lessen any discomfort. After the ext...