How can I decrease bleeding after a tooth extraction?

Keep direct pressure on the area by biting firmly on dental gauze and change the gauze every 20 minutes or so until the bleeding stops. This is usually sufficient to stop bleeding in an hour or two. Persistent bleeding can also be stopped by biting on a tea bag (black tea, not herbal). If bleeding does not slow or stop in a few hours or seems to be getting worse, call your dentist.
After a tooth extraction, your dentist may place a gauze pack on the extraction site to limit bleeding and confine the blood while clotting takes place. This gauze pack should be left in place for 30 to 45 minutes after you leave the dentist's office. Do not chew on the pack. There may be some bleeding or oozing after the pack is removed. If so, follow this procedure:
  1. Fold a piece of clean gauze into a pad thick enough to bite on. Dampen the pad with clean, warm water and place it directly on the extraction site.
  2. Apply moderate pressure by closing the teeth firmly over the pad. Maintain this pressure for about 30 minutes. If the pad becomes soaked with blood, replace it with a clean one as necessary.
  3. Do not suck on the extraction site or disturb it with your tongue.
  4. A slight amount of blood may leak from the extraction site until a clot forms. However, if heavy bleeding continues, call your dentist. (Remember, though, that a little bit of blood mixed with a lot of saliva can look like a lot of bleeding.)

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Can my diet speed up my recovery from a tooth extraction?
If you want to speed up your recovery from a tooth extraction, make sure you have plenty of vit...
What should I avoid doing after a tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
After a tooth extraction, a blood clot forms in the tooth socket. This clot is an important part of ...
What are my options if I have visible teeth extracted?
If you have visible teeth that were extracted, you may benefit from crowns, bridges, or dentures. Al...
What are the risks of a tooth extraction for gum disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause...