Tooth Extraction

Can home remedies relieve pain and discomfort from a tooth extraction?

• There are some home remedies that may help following a tooth extraction. This can include using an ice pack to prevent swelling and pain at the site, rinsing with salt water or warm water, and taking aspirin or other medication to relieve swelling or pain. It's important to heed your dentist's regimen for caring for your teeth following an extraction. Be sure to discuss with him/her any alternative care.
  • ARealAge answered
    In addition to rinsing with warm salt water, some people have found that clove applied to the gums helps to relieve the pain following a tooth extraction. It may be particularly helpful if you have a condition called dry socket.
When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?