Can home remedies relieve pain and discomfort from a tooth extraction?

In addition to rinsing with warm salt water, some people have found that clove applied to the gums helps to relieve the pain following a tooth extraction. It may be particularly helpful if you have a condition called dry socket.
There are some home remedies that may help following a tooth extraction. This can include using an ice pack to prevent swelling and pain at the site, rinsing with salt water or warm water, and taking aspirin or other medication to relieve swelling or pain. It's important to heed your dentist's regimen for caring for your teeth following an extraction. Be sure to discuss with him/her any alternative care.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What should I expect after having a tooth extraction for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow. In mos...
Can my diet speed up my recovery from a tooth extraction?
If you want to speed up your recovery from a tooth extraction, make sure you have plenty of vit...
How does tooth removal (tooth extraction) work?
There are two different types of tooth extractions that can be used to remove teeth. The first is a ...
What medications will I need to take before and after a tooth extraction?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
In most cases, you should take the same medications you normally take before and after a tooth has b...