What are possible complications of tooth removal and extraction?

A dental extraction, or having a tooth pulled, is one of the most frequently requested services by people who come to a dental office in pain. Although a root canal is often a more preferable option to relieve pain from an infected tooth, in some cases a dental extraction is the best or only choice available. Even though most dental extractions proceed without any complications, some can occur. The most likely problems include pain, bleeding, infection, swelling, broken root tips, and bone chips and fragments.
Possible complications of tooth removal and extraction are dry sockets, infection, bone damage, and nerve damage. Dry sockets and infection are both complications that you can attempt to avoid. Dry socket is when the blood clot that forms at the site of your removed tooth (socket) is dislodged, usually one to three days after your surgery. The bone and nerves are exposed, which causes intense pain and can slow down the healing process. Infection can occur as a result of food or bacteria getting stuck in the socket. Nerve damage resulting in loss of feeling in the lip, chin or tongue, damage to the sinuses and damage to your jawbone are all complications of the surgery itself and not anything you have done. If you believe that you have any of these complications, you should speak to your dentist or oral surgeon right away.
It is important to adhere to follow up care as recommended by your dentist, both for your health benefit and comfort.

Some complications can include:
  • increased bleeding or slow clotting of the extraction site
  • swelling
  • redness
  • discomfort or pain
  • difficulty chewing
  • dry socket
  • infection
If you experience of any these problems or pain, see your dentist.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

Is there follow-up required for tooth removal and extraction?
In some cases, you may need to attend follow up visits for your tooth removal and extraction, but in...
How does tooth removal (tooth extraction) work?
There are two different types of tooth extractions that can be used to remove teeth. The first is a ...
What should I think about if I have a wisdom tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have your wisdom teeth extracted, you should adhere to the post-extraction regimen your denti...
Will I be in a lot of pain after having a tooth extraction?
After a simple extraction, you may feel a lot of discomfort which should subside with over-the-...