What causes tooth erosion?

The primary cause of tooth erosion is acid in citrus fruits and other foods. Stomach acid is also a factor, so people who have acid reflux and those who vomit repeatedly because of eating disorders are susceptible to tooth erosion. Sometimes, chlorine and other chemicals can cause erosion.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics

Dentist and prosthodontist Dr. Jonathan Levine discusses the causes of tooth erosion. Watch Dr. Levine's video for information on dental health and oral care.

Tooth erosion, which happens when acids eat away at your tooth’s surface, can have several causes. Improper oral hygiene, not brushing and flossing regularly could lead to the thinning of your enamel. An imbalanced diet can also contribute to tooth erosion.

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

Will I be able to repair my tooth erosion after recovering from bulimia?
After your bulimia has been resolved and you are no longer vomiting repeatedly, you can begin re...
How do soft drinks and juice cause tooth erosion?
Carbonated soft drinks and juices cause tooth erosion because they have high levels of acid. As ...
How can I minimize damage to tooth enamel from bulimia?
If you have bulimia, get help. In the meantime, try to minimize the damage to your teeth by rinsing ...
What can cause the enamel to flake off of my teeth?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
Any of the following may cause enamel loss:a condition called amelogenesis imperfecta (the enamel do...