How do sensitivity toothpastes remedy effects of tooth erosion?

Toothpastes designed for people with tooth sensitivity work to numb the nerves that cause the pain. Many of them have potassium compounds that change the way the nerves respond to stimuli, or they contain strontium chloride which creates a protective film over the tooth to relieve sensitivity.

Underneath both the enamel and the cementum is dentin. Dentin is less dense than enamel and cementum and contains microscopic tubules (small hollow tubes or canals). When dentin loses its protective covering of enamel or cementum these tubules allow heat and cold or acidic or sticky foods to reach the nerves and cells inside the tooth. Dentin may also be exposed when gums recede. The result can be hypersensitivity.

Toothpaste for sensitive teeth contains compounds that help block transmission of sensation from the tooth surface to the nerve, and usually requires several applications before the sensitivity is reduced. Sensitive teeth can be treated. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

How do I prevent tooth erosion?
To prevent tooth erosion, cut back on the amount of acid in your diet. Drink fewer carbonated so...
How does stomach acid erode tooth enamel?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Whether they come up of their own accord (as in acid reflux) or with some assistance from you (a...
How can I help keep canned beverages from eroding my teeth?
To help keep the beverages you drink from eroding your teeth, try to consume them with a meal and av...
How do eating disorders cause tooth erosion?
Eating disorders such as bulimia lead to tooth erosion because of repeated vomiting that exposes...