Who should I see about menstrual vomiting and tooth erosion?

If your menstrual pain is so bad that it makes you vomit, you should be treated by a gynecologist and dentist. The gynecologist treats internal conditions that cause the intense menstrual pain, and the dentist helps restore damage to teeth.
Grant L. Campbell, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
I think there are two visits you need to arrange. For the menstrual vomiting, you need to see a Gynecologist. Severe symptoms such as this can be a sign of potentially serious conditions, the most likely of which would be endometriosis. Endometriosis can involve the intestines which can lead to vomiting during menstruation as well as diarrhea or blood in the stool. Since this condition is treatable and can have long-term complications such as infertility if it is not, a thorough gynecologic evaluation should be done.

For the enamel damage, you need to see your dentist. This is much easier to treat in the early stages of tooth erosion. This is also a risk factor for developing chronic gingivitis which has been associated with an increased risk of premature labor in pregnant patients.

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

What causes a pica eating disorder that leads to tooth erosion?
Pica eating disorder is associated with depression, stress and anxiety and comes from an iron de...
More Answers
What foods destroy tooth enamel?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Since tooth enamel is almost 100 percent mineral, anything that can de-mineralize enamel is bad....
More Answers
What causes tooth erosion?
The primary cause of tooth erosion is acid in citrus fruits and other foods. Stomach acid is als...
More Answers
What is the treatment for tooth erosion?
If your teeth have not become overly sensitive, you may not need treatment. If a tooth has been ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.