How is tooth erosion in children treated?

Tooth erosion is a condition that occurs when acids eat away at a tooth’s surface. If your child is suffering from tooth erosion, your dentist will encourage you to limit the amount of food and beverages your child receives with added sugars. He or she will also ask that your child be diligent in drinking lots of water. Brushing and flossing can also help prevent erosion.

If tooth erosion is caught early, your dentist may recommend fluoride rinses and toothpastes in addition to fluoride treatments given in the dental office. Your dentist will also advise you to limit your child's consumption of sodas and other acidic and sugary beverages.

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

How can my dentist treat tooth erosion from bulimia?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
Repairing the damage is only part of the equation. Stopping the condition that caused the damage ...
What are composite resins?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Composite resins are a mixture of glass or quartz used for some fillings. They are generally used on...
What treatment options are available for dental erosion?
Rita MedwidRita Medwid
Your treatment options depends on how badly the teeth are eroded. There are many good toothpastes th...
How can I help keep canned beverages from eroding my teeth?
Canned beverages, including sodas, sports drinks and even juices, contain sugars that coat your teet...