How does a pica eating disorder cause tooth erosion?

People with pica disorder put abrasive and highly erosive substances such as chalk or dirt into their mouth. These items can quickly erode and wear enamel and tooth surfaces. Also, substances such as chalk prevent iron from being absorbed in the body and increase the potential for tooth erosion and loss.

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

Can eating pickles and yogurt cause tooth erosion?
Pickles and yogurt are among the common foods that contain high amounts of acid. When you eat them, ...
How do soft drinks and juice cause tooth erosion?
Carbonated soft drinks and juices cause tooth erosion because they have high levels of acid. As ...
Who should I see about menstrual vomiting and tooth erosion?
If your menstrual pain is so bad that it makes you vomit, you should be treated by a gynecologis...
Will I be able to repair my tooth erosion after recovering from bulimia?
After your bulimia has been resolved and you are no longer vomiting repeatedly, you can begin re...