How can my dentist treat tooth erosion from bulimia?

If bulimia is causing your teeth to erode, your dentist may apply fluoride varnishes and prescribe a fluoride gel for you to use at home. If your damage is severe, your dentist may use an appliance that protects your teeth from stomach acid.

Repairing the damage is only part of the equation.

Stopping the condition that caused the damage is equally (and possibly) more important.

If the dentist fixes the damage, but the acid attacks continue, things will continue to deteriorate. Would you put a new coat of paint on a burning house before the fire is extinguished?

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

How do soft drinks and juice cause tooth erosion?
Carbonated soft drinks and juices cause tooth erosion because they have high levels of acid. As ...
How does a pica eating disorder cause tooth erosion?
People with pica disorder put abrasive and highly erosive substances such as chalk or dirt into ...
Can my asthma make me susceptible to tooth erosion?
Millions of people who have asthma may be at risk of tooth erosion. The inhalers and other medicin...
Which medicines increase a senior's risk of tooth erosion?
Several types of medicines, including heart medicines and antacids, cause dry mouth and lead to ...