How can my dentist treat tooth erosion from bulimia?

Repairing the damage is only part of the equation.

Stopping the condition that caused the damage is equally (and possibly) more important.

If the dentist fixes the damage, but the acid attacks continue, things will continue to deteriorate. Would you put a new coat of paint on a burning house before the fire is extinguished?
If bulimia is causing your teeth to erode, your dentist may apply fluoride varnishes and prescribe a fluoride gel for you to use at home. If your damage is severe, your dentist may use an appliance that protects your teeth from stomach acid.

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

Are seniors at risk of tooth erosion?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Seniors are at greater risk for a number of oral health problems. Many older adults have gum, or per...
What is amalgam (silver filling)?
Dental amalgam is a stable alloy made by combining elemental mercury, silver, tin, copper and po...
What causes enamel erosion?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Acid erosion is a result of acid contacting the teeth. This acid could be the result of plaque stick...
How can I tell that I have tooth erosion?
There are several symptoms that may indicate tooth erosion. Tooth erosion symptoms include sensitive...