When is the best time to get treatment for ankyloglossia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Some people with ankyloglossia are able to live completely normal lives with this condition and need no treatment. In other cases, such as when speech development is affected, surgery is needed. Symptoms of tongue-tie may begin not long after birth, so if any suspicion arises, take your baby to the doctor. In infants under six weeks of age, anesthesia may not even be necessary. In younger children, the procedure -- called a frenotomy -- may be performed in the physician's office.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

Could dental problems cause my jaw to hurt?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
Yes, but it could be something else too. Many things can cause jaw pain. The possibilities includ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with TMD?
While most people with TMD will be able to care for themselves, there are some things you can keep i...
Are temporomandibular disorders (TMD) permanent?
Temporomandibular disorders typically are resolved with a treatment program in only a few months...
What is the rate of incidence of oral health problems?
The incidence of oral health problems is related to the quality of dental care. Most oral health con...