What is strawberry tongue?

Strawberry tongue is a sign of disease wherein the tongue looks enlarged and red, with a rough or bumpy surface. It is often a sign of scarlet fever, an infection of Group A streptococcal bacteria, but may also be a sign of Kawasaki disease, an inflammation of the walls of the blood vessels. Both of these tend to be diseases of childhood. Other possible causes are toxic shock syndrome or allergic reaction. A person with strawberry tongue should see a doctor.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

What should I do about a spot on my lip that won't heal?
Anka Ivanisevic, NASM Elite TrainerAnka Ivanisevic, NASM Elite Trainer
Any abrasion that will not heal should be closely monitored by a health care professional.
What increases my risk for temporomandibular disorder (TMD)?
Your risk for temporomandibular disorder (TMD), a condition affecting your jaw bones, increases ...
What is lichen planus of the mouth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Lichen planus is a skin disorder that produces lesions in the mouth. A more severe type of Liche...
What causes ageusia?
Ageusia, the inability to taste, can be caused by a variety of factors. A dry mouth is the most comm...