How do I manage my aphthous stomatitis on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Aphthous stomatitis (canker sore) often needs no treatment. However, you can usually manage painful sores on a daily basis by applying over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications. The sores will most often disappear on their own within two weeks. Try to reduce stress in your life, eliminate foods that aggravate the sores, and take a daily multiple vitamin that contains vitamin B, zinc, and folate.

Your dentist or physician can prescribe medicines to help with the discomfort of aphthous stomatitis, or canker sores, small ulcers on the lips, inside of the cheeks, or tongue. When taking medications for canker sores, follow the instructions carefully. You can also increase the amount of fluids you drink; take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as acetaminophen; and make sure to brush and floss your teeth regularly. And avoid spicy, acidic, or salty foods, which can irritate the sores.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

What causes mouth sores?
Saloumeh Kashani, DDSSaloumeh Kashani, DDS
MOUTH SORES and ULCERS, the most common type of sore is a traumatic one that can result from BITI...
Are tooth disorders a side effect of Committ Lozenges?
MediGuardMediGuard
Committ Lozenges as well as other Nicotine products have several reported known side effects that co...
What is gingival hyperplasia?
Gingival hyperplasia is a condition of gum overgrowth, and it can occur as a side effect in people w...
What do cracks in the corners of my mouth indicate?
Cracks in the corners of the mouth may be caused by a condition called angular cheilitis. It's u...