How does a Schilling test diagnose Hunter's glossitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Rather than diagnosing Hunter's glossitis, a Schilling test often helps to diagnose its root cause, pernicious anemia. During a Schilling test, your doctor will give you excess amounts of vitamin B12 and monitor your body to see how it reacts. If you urinate the amount you were given, that means your body can absorb B12 and you do not have pernicious anemia. Less B12 in your urine shows your body's inability to absorb the vitamin and, consequently, the presence of pernicious anemia. The presences of pernicious anemia often results in Hunter's glossitis.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

How do soft drinks cause tooth decay?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Did you know that some nondiet soft drinks contain as many as 11 teaspoons of sugar per serving?...
What causes my gums to recede?
Richard M. Price, DMDRichard M. Price, DMD
Here are some things that can cause gum recession (when the gums shrink, or pull away from, the teet...
Why does my mouth twitch?
Uncontrollable spasms or contractions of the muscles around the mouth are called muscle tics or twit...
What is ligament pain in teeth?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
If a tooth is traumatized, the ligament around the tooth becomes wider, increasing the mobility and ...