How can I relieve the pain of mouth sores?

Mouth sores usually go away in 4 to 7 days. Here's what to do for pain until then:
  • Gargle with cool water.
  • Eat Popsicles or suck on ice cubes.
  • Stay away from hot drinks and spicy or salty foods.
  • Make a thin paste of baking soda and water, and put it on the sore. Or, you can buy gels and pastes to put on the sore while it heals. This may help ease the pain.
  • Also for pain, you can try acetaminophen (like Tylenol) or ibuprofen (like Advil). Follow the instructions for timing and dose. Do not give aspirin to a child or teen -- it increases risk for a serious problem called Reye's syndrome.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

How do I manage my chronic periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Managing your periodontitis means committing to good oral hygiene habits every day. Always brush you...
What are the most common oral health problems?
The most common oral health problems are cavities and gum disease. Our mouths are constantly at r...
How does cavitation affect the body?
A cavitation is a hole in the bone that can develop  when a tooth is extracted improperly or a cavit...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?