How are oral health problems diagnosed?

Oral problems are diagnosed by clinical exam and evaluation, consideration of symptoms, testing including radiographs, tooth vitality testing and biopsy where indicated. The findings and results are used to determine a diagnosis, cause and treatment.

At times the problem or tooth may seem obvious, but the obvious may not be the actual problem, such as in referred pain, tooth pain related to sinus problems or even jaw pain related to a heart attack.

Diagnosis of oral health problems depends on the problem. Problems can range from tooth decay to periodontal (gum) disease. If you are concerned about your oral health you should speak with your dentist. They will be able to diagnose and discuss possible treatments.

The first step is to have a discussion with your dentist as to what is your chief concern, your needs and your desires. A comprehensive oral exam including an evaluation of your teeth, gums and occlusion (your bite) with x-rays will reveal much information about your oral health. Follow up tests and photographs can aid in the proper treatment for you.
Peggy Rosen
Dentist

Oral health problems are diagnosed by:

1. Visual examination by the dentist using dental explorer, periodental probe, tongue blade and dental mirror
  2. Patients history of symptoms and family history
  3. X-rays
  4. Tapped test, ice test and electrical test
  5. Biopsy
  6. Intra oral camera
  7. Disclosing tablets
  8. Study models
  9. Swab culture
  10. Palpation
Dentists diagnose oral health problems by asking you questions, examining your mouth, and if necessary, taking x-rays or other images. They may also test for the presence of bacteria or other signs of disease. A dental appointment usually begins with questions about anything you have experienced related to the health of your mouth. It continues with the dentist or hygienist looking at your teeth and gums and sometimes probing for sensitive areas. X-rays can reveal signs of disease hidden inside gums, bones, and teeth.

Many oral health problems can be diagnosed and treated before they become serious and cause damage. During a visit to your oral healthcare provider, a hygienist and dentist will visually examine your mouth, teeth, and gums for any visible signs of disease. An oral cancer exam will be conducted so that any signs of possible malignancies can be tested. X-rays may be taken to diagnose problems in areas that cannot be seen with the naked eye. You should have an exam twice a year, as well as whenever symptoms of oral health problems occur.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

What is strawberry tongue?
Strawberry tongue is a sign of disease wherein the tongue looks enlarged and red, with a rough or bu...
What can happen to my teeth if I have receding gums?
Duc Tang, DDSDuc Tang, DDS
Receding gums can cause sensitivity in your teeth and the exposed root surfaces are more prone to ca...
How do I manage my chronic periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Managing your periodontitis means committing to good oral hygiene habits every day. Always brush you...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?