How does a dentist diagnose mouth sores?

Schedule an appointment with your dentist if you notice any change in your mouth, including pain or discomfort, or the presence of sores in the mouth, even if they are not painful. A biopsy (tissue sample taken for testing) usually can determine the cause or rule out another disease. Your dentist can recognize and often diagnose the type of mouth sore or spot on the basis of its appearance and location.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

Are lasers commonly used to help dentists fill cavities?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In 1997, the FDA approved laser use for the treatment of cavities. Since the early 1990s, different ...
What causes my gums to recede?
Richard M. Price, DMDRichard M. Price, DMD
Here are some things that can cause gum recession (when the gums shrink, or pull away from, the teet...
What do cracks in the corners of my mouth indicate?
Cracks in the corners of the mouth may be caused by a condition called angular cheilitis. It's u...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?