What do I need to know about caring for someone with ageusia?

When caring for someone with ageusia, remember the disorder affects that person physically and emotionally. The person you are caring for with ageuisa may be frustrated or depressed by not being able to taste food. Weight loss or gain may result. Encourage the person with ageusia to eat healthy, nutritious meals. Also, help prepare foods in new and interesting ways, using new spices and different colored foods. You could also encourage someone with ageusia to join a support group to help cope with ageusia.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

Are there alternative treatments for temporomandibular disorder (TMD)?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
TMD is not a diagnosis but a group of problems related to the jaw joint. Many times TMD is self-limi...
What types of bacteria live in the mouth?
The human mouth contains many different types of bacteria. That's not all bad news: some bacteria in...
Should I be worried about my ageusia?
If you have ageusia, your sensory system is impaired so that you lose the ability to taste. Ageusia ...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?