How are tonsils or adenoids removed?

If your child has persistent tonsillitis, multiple strep infections, chronic sinusitis, sleep apnea, trouble breathing, or difficulty eating from swollen tonsils, your doctor may recommend removing the tonsils and/or adenoids. The surgery can be performed with a scalpel or one of the newer laser techniques, which have cut total healing time down to a few days. Both require general anesthesia, meaning that your child will be “asleep” for about twenty to forty minutes. In‑hospital recovery usually takes another five to ten hours, and then your child may be released. If he’s under three or has a chronic disease, the surgeon may recommend an overnight stay. Depending on the technique used, your child will have a bad sore throat for several days and may also be tired from the anesthesia. Complete recovery usually takes about a week. Surgery on the adenoids is similar. Soft foods (read: ice cream and pudding) can soothe the pain from the surgery a bit.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Tonsillectomy

Is surgery a good therapy option for obstructive sleep apnea?
Phil WestbrookPhil Westbrook
For some carefully selected people the answer is yes, surgery is a good therapy option for their obs...
How common are tonsillectomies?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Tonsillectomy is one of the most common surgical procedures in the United States, with more than...
What should I eat while recovering from a tonsillectomy?
While recovering from a tonsillectomy, you might want to eat soft foods that are easy to chew and sw...
When Are Tonsils in Children Removed?
When Are Tonsils in Children Removed?