Why do my eyes blink when I have tongue spasm?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Depending on the cause of the tongue spasm, some people with tongue spasm experience other symptoms as well. Sometimes people with tongue spasm also blink their eyes involuntarily. They may also thrust their shoulders or purse their lips. Talk to your doctor if you have any of these symptoms in addition to tongue spasm. Your doctor can help you find the best treatment for your condition.

If your eyes blink during tongue spasm you may have a condition known as dystonia. Involuntary blinking of the eyes is one of the many symptoms of dystonia, a neurological movement disorder that causes uncontrolled and involuntary muscle contractions.

Lingual dystonia is a specific type of the condition that affects the tongue and causes it to twitch or tremor. Other conditions may also cause eye blinking and tongue spasms, so it's important to see your doctor if you have these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might wa...
What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is a condition that causes a person's tongue to move in short, jerky motions. Tongue sp...
Will my tongue spasm go away?
Your tongue spasm may not go away. Tongue spasm can have a variety of causes. All tongue spasm cases...
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...