How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?

To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might want to ask about treatments that are available to you and get referrals for some specialists, such as a physical therapist or a neurologist, a doctor who specializes in brain disorders. You may also want to bring a friend to help you remember what to ask and to help keep track of your doctor's answers.

If you are experiencing tongue spasms that won't go away, it's a good idea to see a doctor. You can prepare by making notes about your symptoms and writing down any questions you may have. Tongue spasms can be caused by many things, including stroke, cerebral palsy, and multiple sclerosis. A number of antipsychotic drugs can also cause tongue spasms. If necessary, your doctor can take an EEG or refer you to a neurologist. Other tests, such as MRI or CT scan, can reveal possible neurological problems.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is a condition that causes a person's tongue to move in short, jerky motions. Tongue sp...
Are tongue spasms serious?
Depending on the cause of your tongue spasm, the condition can be serious. In some cases, tongue spa...
Can tongue spasm be prevented?
It is difficult to say if tongue spasm can be prevented because the causes are not clearly understoo...
Will my tongue spasm go away?
Your tongue spasm may not go away. Tongue spasm can have a variety of causes. All tongue spasm cases...