How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?

If you are experiencing tongue spasms that won't go away, it's a good idea to see a doctor. You can prepare by making notes about your symptoms and writing down any questions you may have. Tongue spasms can be caused by many things, including stroke, cerebral palsy, and multiple sclerosis. A number of antipsychotic drugs can also cause tongue spasms. If necessary, your doctor can take an EEG or refer you to a neurologist. Other tests, such as MRI or CT scan, can reveal possible neurological problems.

To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might want to ask about treatments that are available to you and get referrals for some specialists, such as a physical therapist or a neurologist, a doctor who specializes in brain disorders. You may also want to bring a friend to help you remember what to ask and to help keep track of your doctor's answers.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

Will my tongue spasm go away?
Because a tongue spasm can have many causes, it's hard to say if it will go away. Tongue spasms ...
What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is an informal name for a condition that doctors call lingual dystonia. Lingual mea...
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...
Can tongue spasm be prevented?
Tongue spasms, or twitching of the tongue, is a symptom of a medical condition and can't be prev...