How do medications treat tongue spasm?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are several medications that can help improve the condition of tongue spasm. Botox can be used to paralyze the muscles in the mouth and prevent tongue spasm. Also, in some cases, muscle relaxants are helpful for treating tongue spasm. In addition, if an underlying condition such as multiple sclerosis is causing the tongue spasm, treating that condition with can help reduce the symptoms of tongue spasm.

Very few medications actually treat tongue spasm, or twitching of the tongue. Medications, such as Botox, treat tongue spasm by paralyzing the tongue muscle. Other medications such as sedatives can help ease the tongue muscle convulsions. If your tongue spasm is the side effect of medication, ask your doctor about alternative medication you can take to reduce your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...
Can tongue spasm be prevented?
It is difficult to say if tongue spasm can be prevented because the causes are not clearly understoo...
What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is a condition that causes a person's tongue to move in short, jerky motions. Tongue sp...
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might wa...