Can tongue spasm be prevented?

Tongue spasms, or twitching of the tongue, is a symptom of a medical condition and can't be prevented. Many illnesses cause tongue spasm, but it often goes away on its on. Whether mild or severe, your tongue spasms can be treated with physical therapy to strengthen your tongue muscles. You can also learn coping skills to improve your quality of life.

It is difficult to say if tongue spasm can be prevented because the causes are not clearly understood. In some cases, tongue spasm is caused by stroke or a genetic disorder that cannot be prevented. However, people who take certain antipsychotic drugs that cause tongue spasm can prevent this condition by taking alternative medications.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is an informal name for a condition that doctors call lingual dystonia. Lingual mea...
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
If you are experiencing tongue spasms that won't go away, it's a good idea to see a doctor. You ...
Will my tongue spasm go away?
Because a tongue spasm can have many causes, it's hard to say if it will go away. Tongue spasms ...
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...