What's the best way to clean my tongue of toxins?

The best way to detoxify your tongue depends on the source of the toxins. Oral bacteria can produce toxins, so you should gently brush your tongue along with your teeth and gums to remove bacteria and the plaque they use to stick to your teeth. Flossing regularly, eating a low-sugar diet, and seeing your dentist regularly for in-office treatments can also reduce the number of harmful bacteria on and around your tongue.

Another source of toxins is tobacco, both the kind you smoke and the kind you chew. Quitting tobacco use will reduce the risk of damage to your tongue from cancer.

Continue Learning about Healthy Tongue

What is tongue-tie?
Dale M. Valentine, MDDale M. Valentine, MD
Some babies are born with a tight frenulum or band of tissue under the tongue that prevents the tong...
Why does my tongue look like a roadmap when I am sick?
Your tongue may assume the appearance of a roadmap when you have a condition known as "geographic to...
What is the purpose of your tongue?
Your tongue serves many purposes, from helping you chew and swallow to aiding in talking and singing...
What Your Tongue Reveals About Your Health
What Your Tongue Reveals About Your HealthWhat Your Tongue Reveals About Your HealthWhat Your Tongue Reveals About Your HealthWhat Your Tongue Reveals About Your Health
From changing colors to curious bumps, your tongue gives important health clues.