Which diseases cause a change in the tongue?

Oral cancer can cause white or red patches on your tongue and mouth and trigger a sore that won't heal. If you have HIV infection, you may get a condition called "hairy" leukoplakia, a precancerous lesion. Fuzzy white patches will form on and around your tongue. Jaundice, liver, or gallbladder diseases may cause yellowing of your tongue. People with Down Syndrome may also get scrotal tongue, a condition in which the tongue develops grooves down the middle. Oral thrush is a common condition that causes white, pink or red patches on your tongue that can spread throughout your mouth. It's important to talk to your dentist, doctor or an ear, nose, and throat specialist about any changes on your tongue.

Continue Learning about Healthy Tongue

Why does my tongue look like a roadmap when I am sick?
Why does my tongue look like a roadmap when I am sick? If your tongue looks like a roadmap when you...
How do I detoxify my tongue?
You can help get both your tongue and the rest of your body back in balance with a body cleansing di...
What are the signs of nerve damage from a tongue piercing?
What are the signs of nerve damage from a tongue piercing? The injured nerve may affect your sense o...
Why does my tongue have a white coating?
Why does my tongue have a white coating? If you see a white coating on your tongue, that is dead bac...