How can I develop phonemic awareness in my child?

Lynne Kenney
Phonological awareness sometimes refers to an awareness that words consist of syllables and phonemes (segments of words or groupings of sound). Phonemic awareness can be developed through a number of activities, including asking children beginning in preschool (age 3) to:

  1. have fun with your child teaching him rhymes
  2. clap the rhythm of syllables
  3. identify and categorize sounds
  4. blend sounds to form words
  5. delete or add sounds to form new words
  6. substitute sounds to make new words

Prior to three years of age, taking with your baby, describing what you see in the environment, naming objects and playing are central to learning to read later on. No need to rush baby, learning is scaffolded. Baby needs to develop oral-motor tone, learn sound formation and recognize symbol word relationships before reading.

After age three, read with your child. Practice phonics with your child. Enjoy playing with sounds through music, clapping and movement.

Continue Learning about Toddlers Development

Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
The first years of a child’s life are crucial for development. It’s when they learn how to communicate and connect with other people and to interact w...
Read More
How do I deal with my young son when he gets an erection?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
A preschooler boy has an awareness of his body. He also is sensitive to any changes in it, and worri...
More Answers
How can I help my toddler learn?
Experts agree that a huge amount of your child’s cognitive development occurs before the age of thre...
More Answers
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.