What are important cognitive milestones for my one year old?

One-year-old children are curious about most everything and try hard to explore the world around them. A typical 12-month-old child will display the following cognitive milestones:

• explore objects in many different ways (such as shaking, banging, throwing, and dropping)
  • find hidden objects easily
  • look at the correct picture when an image is named (such as focus on a picture of a “dog” when asked)
  • imitate gestures and sounds
  • begin to use objects correctly (for example, drinking from cup, brushing hair, dialing phone, listening to receiver)

In terms of language skills, a typical 12-month-old will show these cognitive milestones:

• pay increasing attention to speech
  • respond to simple verbal requests
  • respond to “no”
  • use simple gestures, such as shaking head for “no”
  • babble with inflection
  • say “dada” and “mama” although not always appropriately
  • use exclamations, such as “oh-oh!”
  • try to imitate words

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org

It is important for a one year old to do the following:

• Explore objects in many different ways (shaking, banging, throwing, dropping)
  • Find hidden objects easily 
  • Look at the correct picture when an image is named 
  • Imitate gestures 
  • Begin to use objects correctly (drinking from a cup, brushing his hair, dialing a phone, listening to the receiver)

Continue Learning about Toddlers Development

Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
The first years of a child’s life are crucial for development. It’s when they learn how to communicate and connect with other people and to interact w...
What does walking normally look like in toddlers?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Learning to walk takes a lot of practice—and that practice can go on for a long time. Most children ...
At what age can I expect my baby to be more independent?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
The infant starts out in life as a completely dependent being. She relies on her parents (usuall...
For a Smarter Toddler, Skip the Junk Food