What are important cognitive milestones for my one year old?

It is important for a one year old to do the following:

• Explore objects in many different ways (shaking, banging, throwing, dropping)
  • Find hidden objects easily 
  • Look at the correct picture when an image is named 
  • Imitate gestures 
  • Begin to use objects correctly (drinking from a cup, brushing his hair, dialing a phone, listening to the receiver)

One-year-old children are curious about most everything and try hard to explore the world around them. A typical 12-month-old child will display the following cognitive milestones:

• explore objects in many different ways (such as shaking, banging, throwing, and dropping)
  • find hidden objects easily
  • look at the correct picture when an image is named (such as focus on a picture of a “dog” when asked)
  • imitate gestures and sounds
  • begin to use objects correctly (for example, drinking from cup, brushing hair, dialing phone, listening to receiver)

In terms of language skills, a typical 12-month-old will show these cognitive milestones:

• pay increasing attention to speech
  • respond to simple verbal requests
  • respond to “no”
  • use simple gestures, such as shaking head for “no”
  • babble with inflection
  • say “dada” and “mama” although not always appropriately
  • use exclamations, such as “oh-oh!”
  • try to imitate words

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org

Continue Learning about Toddlers Development

Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
The first years of a child’s life are crucial for development. It’s when they learn how to communicate and connect with other people and to interact w...
How do I teach my toddler about sex?
Good In BedGood In Bed
As your child becomes a toddler, situations may present themselves that can lead to "teachable momen...
How can I develop phonemic awareness in my child?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Phonological awareness sometimes refers to an awareness that words consist of syllables and phon...
Help Your Toddler Graduate From Crib to Bed