How can I tell if my child can categorize objects?

Find ten new toys of about the same size. They should be small enough for your child to pick up but, obviously, large enough that if she puts them in her mouth, she cannot swallow them. Five of them should be animals. The other five should be vehicles (cars, trucks, and planes). Watch the order in which your child plays with the toys. As she gains knowledge about types of categories, she will generally touch members of one category and then members of the other. When she gets older, she may alternate, touching an animal and then a vehicle, another animal and another vehicle.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Toddlers Development

Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
The first years of a child’s life are crucial for development. It’s when they learn how to communicate and connect with other people and to interact w...
How can I help my toddler learn?
Experts agree that a huge amount of your child’s cognitive development occurs before the age of thre...
At what age can I expect my baby to be more independent?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
The infant starts out in life as a completely dependent being. She relies on her parents (usuall...
Can Physical Activity Improve a Child's Mental Development?