How can I tell if my child can categorize objects?

Find ten new toys of about the same size. They should be small enough for your child to pick up but, obviously, large enough that if she puts them in her mouth, she cannot swallow them. Five of them should be animals. The other five should be vehicles (cars, trucks, and planes). Watch the order in which your child plays with the toys. As she gains knowledge about types of categories, she will generally touch members of one category and then members of the other. When she gets older, she may alternate, touching an animal and then a vehicle, another animal and another vehicle.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Toddlers Development

Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
The first years of a child’s life are crucial for development. It’s when they learn how to communicate and connect with other people and to interact w...
How can I develop phonemic awareness in my child?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Phonological awareness sometimes refers to an awareness that words consist of syllables and phon...
What are ways to help a toddler develop?
The following tips can help with your toddler's development: Kids learn more from nonverbal signa...
For a Smarter Toddler, Skip the Junk Food