Should I talk to my doctor about my TMJ symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Sometimes the symptoms of TMJ go away without any medical help. If your symptoms linger and especially if you are experiencing pain, then you should talk to your doctor or dentist. A doctor can confirm a diagnosis and recommend treatment for the pain. Additionally, TMJ may be caused by an underlying physical issue, such as teeth grinding or a misaligned bite. Discussing the issue with your dentist can lead to a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Your dentist can best diagnose if you have TMJ and how to treat it. Part of the dental examination includes checking the joints and muscles for tenderness, clicking, popping or difficulty moving. Your complete medical history may be reviewed, so it’s important to keep your dental office records up-to-date. Your dentist may take x-rays and may make a "cast" of your teeth to see how the upper and lower teeth fit together. Your dentist may also request specialized x-rays for the TM joints. Depending on the diagnosis, the dentist may refer you to a physician or another dentist.

Continue Learning about Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)

How Are Temporomandibular Joint Disorders Treated?