When should I meet with my prospective surgeon?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
During your initial consultation you should meet your prospective surgeon. Make sure to bring your checklist of questions and concerns. In my practice, I see patients again during a preoperative visit normally about 7-10 days prior to the procedure. Informed consent forms are reviewed, signed, and the surgery and post-operative instructions are reviewed again. 

Once you have narrowed down your search, plan an initial consultation with the surgeon, during which you can get to know each other. This consultation will include a detailed interview and physical examination. To make certain the surgeon fully understands your problem and your overall health, bring the following with you: copies of any x-rays, CT scans, or MRI scans; all lab results; your medical files; a comprehensive list of any medications you are taking (or have recently taken); a list of any natural dietary supplements, including herbs, you are taking (or have recently taken); and a list of any known allergies (including latex allergy or allergy to medications). During your time with your surgeon, talk openly about your needs, and ask the surgeon what the chances are for pain relief.   

In addition to discussing your surgery in detail, be specific with questions about exercise and increasing activity. If you want to be able to play golf or tennis, ask whether it will be possible after surgery. If you are contemplating getting pregnant, be upfront and ask if this will be possible after surgery. If you cannot do your job, which entails bending and lifting, ask if surgery will help you at work. Good patient-physician communication is important for receiving the highest quality of care and the comfort needed during anxious moments before surgery. I find that many patients find it helpful to write down their questions ahead of time, so they are less apt to forget them at the time of consultation.
The Women's Guide to Ending Pain: An 8-Step Program

Are you one of the 80 million North American women suffering from the chronic pain of:* Menstrual cramps* Fibromyalgia* Headaches * Carpal tunnel syndrome* Back or neck pain?Starting today, you can...

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

How to Talk To Your Doctor About Embarrassing Questions
Going to the doctor isn’t exactly fun -- and it can be downright uncomfortable if you’ve got an embarrassing body issue you’re nervous to ask about. B...
What should I ask my doctor during every appointment?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
During every appointment you should receive an overall assessment of your general health status, rev...
What questions should I ask a doctor about a recommended test or treatment?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
I recommend the following questions as a matter of routine in response to any recommended test or tr...
What You Must Ask Your Doctor
What You Must Ask Your Doctor