What is a shared medical appointment (SMA)?

A shared medical appointment, or SMA, is essentially a group appointment during which many patients are seen at once for follow-up or management of conditions.
Doctors seeing people one-on-one has been the traditional approach to medicine since the beginning of time. However, shared medical appointments, or SMAs, offer an alternative to this tradition. An SMA for diabetes, for example, is when a small group of people (5 to 10) have their doctor’s visit together in a small conference room over a 90-minute period. They share their medical issues, concerns, laboratory results, frustrations, personal struggles, successful ideas and techniques with each other. Sharing their trials and tribulations, as well as their successes, is tremendously helpful. Most participants love these shared medical appointments.

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Do’s and Don’ts for Emailing Your Doctor
You can order a pizza, a latte, movie tickets or your next car online…so why is it so darned hard to email your doc? According to a new report, doctor...
What should I ask my doctor in order to understand my medical condition?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
“Doctor, what’s wrong with me?” You need to hear your physician describe, in plain English, the basi...
How can I avoid feeling rushed in the doctor's office?
If you have a lot to discuss during a particular visit, tell the office receptionist so he or she ca...
What You Must Ask Your Doctor
What You Must Ask Your Doctor