What questions should I ask a doctor about a recommended test or treatment?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
I recommend the following questions as a matter of routine in response to any recommended test or treatment:

Is this the lowest risk option? If not, does this approach add benefit that more than offsets the risk? Is this the test or treatment you would have if you were in my shoes? Is this the test or treatment you would prescribe for a loved one in my shoes? Is there another option with less risk, more potential benefit, or both that we should consider? Are you sure I need another test, and will the results change my treatment options? Can you tell me how? Are you sure I need a treatment, and will it reliably change my results for the better? Can you tell me how? How confident are you in this recommendation you are making?

A lot of truly good information can be gleaned from such an exchange, but actually it serves another purpose too. It slows down a doctor who may be harried and hurried, and forces her/him to deal with you as…a person, rather than a patient. It may be that an emphatic introduction of the human element into the medical equation is the best defense against human fallibility.

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Is Your Hospital Treating You Right?
Is Your Hospital Treating You Right?
Hospitals across America are trying something new: Giving patients—and their loved ones—the red carpet treatment you’d expect from a fancy restaurant ...
When should I call my doctor after having surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call your doctor if you have any of these signs of infection: Ongoing red bleeding from your inci...
6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor
6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor6 Questions to Always Ask Your Doctor
Get the answers you need to take control of your health. Your healthcare provider is a wealth of knowledge, brimming with information to share with yo...
What You Must Ask Your Doctor
What You Must Ask Your Doctor