What questions should I ask a doctor about a recommended test or treatment?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
I recommend the following questions as a matter of routine in response to any recommended test or treatment:

Is this the lowest risk option? If not, does this approach add benefit that more than offsets the risk? Is this the test or treatment you would have if you were in my shoes? Is this the test or treatment you would prescribe for a loved one in my shoes? Is there another option with less risk, more potential benefit, or both that we should consider? Are you sure I need another test, and will the results change my treatment options? Can you tell me how? Are you sure I need a treatment, and will it reliably change my results for the better? Can you tell me how? How confident are you in this recommendation you are making?

A lot of truly good information can be gleaned from such an exchange, but actually it serves another purpose too. It slows down a doctor who may be harried and hurried, and forces her/him to deal with you as…a person, rather than a patient. It may be that an emphatic introduction of the human element into the medical equation is the best defense against human fallibility.

Continue Learning about Talking To Your Doctor

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
What questions should I ask when choosing a doctor?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
When considering a physician of any specialty make sure he or she is board certified in that specifi...
How can I determine if my breast cancer doctor spent enough time with me?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
This is a tricky one, because everyone’s perception of ‘enough time’ is different. What matters is h...
What You Must Ask Your Doctor
What You Must Ask Your Doctor